When I was a kid, I thought the people who ran this race were frakking INSANE. How many miles? Do they know how hilly this town is? Since I started running a few years ago (more casually then, more seriously now), it’s been on my mind. I’ve really wanted to run it, but I could never justify the trip from Massachusetts for a 10K. But I’m in New York again! So I’m finally running it. The race is part of a greater weekend of small town festivities that also includes Cow Harbor Day. If small town holidays, parades, and lots of people dressed up as cows piques your interest, you should come hang out and run.
(start line - runners as far as the eye can see!)
Have I mentioned that I’ve never run a 10K race before? Two marathons, 3 road half-marathons, a trail half, a ton of 5Ks, and some random distance races, but never a 10K.
(Ryan Hall setting the course record in 2006)
Here are some interesting facts about The Great Cow Harbor 10K:
- 5,500+ runners
- 25,000+ spectators
- 2k fun run / walk with 1000+ participants
- one of Runner’s World top 100 races in the USA
- selected as a Championship Race by RRCA for the 11th consecutive year
- UPS bag drop (lololol - it’s a 10k. TAKE NOTE, NYC MARATHON. This is how you do it.)
- shuttle service from parking to start line and from finish to parking
- staggered/wave start + chip timing
- four water/aid stops (FOR A 10K. C’MON.)
- $3k cash prize to top male and female; $5k bonus for setting a course record
- age group awards and raffle for all runners (bib number = ticket)
- Last year, Mo Trafeh set a course record - 28:17, 4:34 pace (beating Ryan Hall’s 28:22 set in ‘06)
- Last year, Janet Cherobon-Bawcom also set a course record - 32:26, 5:14 pace
- Elite runners have been known to live & train in Northport for months leading up to the race.
- This race is SERIOUS[ly fun].
It’s a challenging course, and it includes both my least favorite hill (though we run down it - FUN!) and my favorite hill, James Street (which I just learned is often referred to as “Widow Hill” by runners… so there’s that). It’s also gorgeous. So there’s that.
(Cows are everywhere.)
Have I hooked you yet? If you’re in the NY area, you should come play. You probably won’t set a PR, but you’ll have a blast. If you have more miles than that to run, we can run more miles. And if anyone wants to fly out, that’s cool, too.
Saturday, September 15th is the date.
I think I’m going to run with a cow bell.
- my-life--in-a-nutshell said: Was just talking to my sister about Cow Harbor last weekend. I’m totally coming down for this next year…..can’t make it happen this year.
- carolynruns likes this
- 3quartersalice likes this
- talesfromthetoadelf likes this
- therealdubtastic likes this
- ariavie said: I just ran my first 10K in January and I’ve been running almost 10 yrs. Woohoo! Instant PR :)
- dawnversion2point0 likes this
- gilliansquirtle likes this
- funnyrunner said: I’ve never done a 10K either! Well at least not one that was preceded by a swim and bike.
- tallmormon said: look at all the heffers!
- tallmormon likes this
- ouray likes this
- runningonwhiskey said: If I wasn’t doing a Ragnar and on the opposite coast I would totally be down for that.
- excelwithpassion likes this
- becky-balances said: I would totally be there if I didn’t live so far away…and I would still consider it if I didn’t have to be in Minnesota for work that weekend. Sounds like fun!
- becky-balances likes this
- ashamedtosay likes this
- irondoeslife likes this
- lojogetsfaster likes this
- robownslife likes this
- paleofaileo likes this
- alienmeatsack likes this
- thetikistyle likes this
- michaelontherun likes this
- chrystimoreorless said: DO IT!!!
- chrystimoreorless likes this
- nikefan45 likes this
- notovernight likes this
- kategoesrunning said: That sounds like an amazingly organized race!
- thatssowoolard likes this
- sayhellotocindy reblogged this from runningwithguts and added:
- sayhellotocindy likes this
- mtrippplef likes this
- operation225 likes this
- 94monkeys said: I totally would if I weren’t going to be at Ragnar that day! Have fun though. I heart cows.
- iron-inside likes this
- uhoh-janellio likes this
- runningwithguts posted this