I didn’t mind one bit. After a weekend of non-stop [albeit completely enjoyable] socialization, I welcomed the break.
The airport was quite busy and seating quite sparse, so I had a number of people ask to sit with me (“No, I don’t mind at all — be my guest”), scarf down food, and then hurry off to make connections. One person, an elderly fellow, lingered for a while, seemingly wrapped up in something on his phone.
"Excuse me, miss?" The older gentleman sought my attention. I looked up from my book and responded with a single, "Hm?"Read more
We’re all actually married to each other now.
The Internet is polyamorous.
I have wanted a latte all week, and I promised myself one that I could have one at the airport before boarding. My latte (with an extra shot of espresso) has finally arrived.
Ah, sweet surrender!
And now I wait until that inevitable moment when the caffeine kicks in and I get the immediate urge to poo. Right as we take off. Because obviously.
Dearest Bizz was at a loss for how to pack for a combined wedding and camping adventure weekend.
Here is my packing all mapped out (geography of packing!) for her or anyone else who is curious.
Carry-on #1, medium-sized purse:
- boarding passes
Carry-on #2, overnight bag:
- flats (on bottom of bag)
- light jacket (stuffed into its own pocket/built in stuff sack)
- bobby pins
- hair ties
- hair straightener (will double as portable clothing iron)
- 32 oz. Nalgene
- camera bag
- phone charger
- dress to wear at wedding, folded neatly and placed in gallon freezer bag to protect from dirt/excess wrinkles/tearing on zippers
- enough room to stuff any random incidentals
Checked bag, trekking pack:
- 2-person tent
- sleeping bag
- sleeping pad
- compression sack with enough clothes/layers for 3-4 days
- day pack
- knit hat
When you’re trying to travel as light as possible (assuming that you’re flying), it’s always best to wear your bulkiest apparel while in transit — it saves a lot of space. Sneakers go on my feet, and I will be wearing jeans, a couple of layers (you can never tell how the temperature will be on planes, but usually cold), and a down vest, which I will be able to stow away in my overnight bag if I feel so inclined.
I’m getting really excited.
I ran out of vegetables because I am going away this weekend, and I was too hungry to go to the store after work because I unexpectedly worked 10+ hours when I thought I would be working seven.
I had a small amount of pasta in my cabinet and amped the volume up with some pesto tortellini. I sauteed up some garlic and sundried tomatoes in olive oil. I made an asiago-bleu cheese sauce.
Stop looking at me like that, you guys.
I had to.
Yesterday I woke up at 5:30 and made cupcakes before work. Because birthdays.
Ugly, but delicious.
- Apple cinnamon cupcake with brown sugar swirl
- Salted caramel buttercream
- Caramel apple compote
Review: “I know a fair number of cardiac surgeons that would financially back your bakery.”
A How-Not-To Guide by Brenna.
- Go dress shopping for very imminent Tumblr wedding.
- Haul six dresses into a fitting room.
- Take a photo showing the least laughable and least offensive dress, which is just a finger’s width past your bum (and that’s only when you’re standing still).
- Make sure you get some cheek in there.
- Send it to your favorite dude for laughs. And for science.
- Plan it so that when he opens the text, his mom will see it.